Saturday, December 26, 2009

Peanut Butter Pie

I love tofu, but I didn't think it belonged in dessert until I made this pie. I have never made anything so delicious. And it's surprisingly easy to put together, so I've already made it three times this month. Even my tofu-weary father likes it.

I struck pretty closely to the recipe I found here.



Ingredients

- 12 oz. Extra-Firm or Firm Silken Tofu
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 graham cracker crust (recipe here, or get a pre-made crust)
- peanuts, for garnish

Drain and rinse the tofu and squish out any excess water. Combine the tofu, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and 1/3 cup of the agave nectar in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Pour into pie crust and refrigerate. There will still be quite a bit of room in the pan; that's for the ganache.

Now comes the chocolate. Bring your vegan milk of choice to a gentle boil in a small saucepan. As soon as it boils, remove it from the heat and mix in the chocolate and 2 tablespoons of agave syrup until everything is fully melted and evenly combined. Let sit for 10 minutes at room temp until it solidifies. Take the pie out of the fridge and pour or drizzle the ganache on top. Add garnish if you'd like. Put in the refrigerator for two hours before you eat it. An hour in the freezer will also do.

See, it's eaaaasy. And delicious.

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome and so tasty--my mouth is watering from just looking at the picture!

    ReplyDelete