Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thanks, Moby.

Remember when Arnold Schwarzenegger cut ALL of the state funding for California's Domestic Violence Shelters?

I work at a DV shelter, and 100% of the money I make comes from the state, so when I heard about what Schwarzenegger did I really started to worry about the future for women experiencing DV in California.

Well, Moby recently made a fool out of Schwarzenegger by deciding to donate 100% of the profits from his upcoming California shows to California Partnership to End Domestic Violence.

He told the L.A. Times, "It was such an insignificant amount of money, it felt like somebody was going out of their way to be mean-spirited. The people that use their services are the most disenfranchised of the disenfranchised. If these shelters are open, people's lives improve, and if they close, people die. There's nothing abstract about it." (In other words: "You're an asshole, Arnold.")

Since Moby and so many feminist organizations were attracting attention to what Schwarzenegger did, he had no choice but to sign a bill restoring the $16.3 billion in funds to DV shelters.

We need more stories like this.

I've got some celebrities to call in favors from.

2 comments:

  1. I like it when one person really does make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great news. Moby has always been one of my favorite vegans. And what an impact he made in this particular case; it gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete