Monday, October 19, 2009

Sm'apples

So my friends and I got really excited about fall and decide to go apple picking. We filled up a wheelbarrow, which is apparently 130 pounds of apples...


At the time, I didn't realize that I would be dedicating the next week of my life to those apples. Two days spent making applesauce...My roommates dumpstered some pie crusts, so I spent an afternoon making pie. Then we made some juice...and half of the apples are still sitting in my kitchen. I have moments where I think I'm sick of them, but there really is nothing better than the smell of apples cooking on the stove, or making apple juice in the kitchen with your best friends while singing along to "I Can't Make You Love Me" at the top of our lungs (yes, I am talking about Bonnie Rait).


Along with the apple endeavor, I pickled beets and roasted red peppers with my friend Kathryn earlier this week. I am finally getting the hang of food preservation and it feels really satisfying and exciting.

I am actively working to fight off seasonal depression this year, and I'd like to think I'm as persistent as my grandmother is about fighting off colds. I am constantly reminding myself that it wouldn't be green here without the rain, and I am pushing myself to embrace and appreciate seasonal foods and activities so as to keep in mind that sometimes the bad weather helps balance me out. The rain pushes me indoors, which encourages me to spend time with people I love, drink more cider, take out the knitting needles, listen to music in my room, write letters, make more bread, and finally learn how to play the ukulele.

Not that it's all bad weather yet. There's still plenty of time to play in the yard with the chickens.

Left to right: Donna, Molly, Lois

1 comment:

  1. You are torturing me, Ashley! I miss this autumnal Washington time...! And apples... in a bizarre twist of events yesterday was "Fruit Day" at school where the students brought in giant decorated fruit baskets (I'll probably have to blog this) and we ate fruit for an entire class period. There are apples here, even Washington apples, but they are mushy! Mushy apples?! I'm looking longingly at your wheelbarrow!

    ReplyDelete